GARTNER’S HYPE CYCLES POSITION RTLS USE CASES ALONG THE SLOPE OF ENLIGHTENMENT
Customer conversations seemed to change in 2023. Discussion about RTLS is now integral to considerations for ERP, MES, EHR, CMMS, Command Centers and more. As accuracy improves and management becomes simpler, RTLS is viewed as a fundamental component of the suite of applications that drive the enterprise. With location insights about assets and people, new value is extracted from existing IT investments to drive more intelligent processes and make better business decisions.
Gartner published new Hype Cycles in the summer of 2023 that confirm RTLS has emerged from “Trough of Disillusionment” and is now on the productive trajectory, “Slope of Enlightenment”. As defined by Gartner, the Slope of Enlightenment is “Focused experimentation and solid hard work by an increasingly diverse range of organizations lead to a true understanding of the innovation’s applicability, risks and benefits. Commercial off-the-shelf methodologies and tools ease the development process.”
AiRISTA is identified as an RTLS vendor with solutions applicable to FOUR targeted Hype Cycles.1. Gartner Hype Cycle for Frontline Worker Technologies. “Over 70% of enterprises looking to track assets also wanted to track people as part of a cohesive solution. From a safety standpoint, not being able to track people in dangerous situations or environments results in not only avoidable injuries but also loss of life.”
- Airista is recognized in RTLS for Indoor Location for People Tracking and Social Distancing Technologies. “Over 70% of enterprises looking to track assets also wanted to track people as part of a cohesive solution. From a safety standpoint, not being able to track people in dangerous situations or environments results in not only avoidable injuries but also loss of life. In certain geographies and industries, tracking people for safety reasons can be mandated by law.”
2. Gartner Hype Cycle for Supply Chain Execution Technologies. “Safety and compliance for industrial environments including factories or plants where fumes, chemicals or temperatures create a safety risk, and construction sites for employee safety and anti-collision purposes.”
- Airista is recognized in RTLS for Indoor Location for People Tracking and Indoor Location for assets. “Misplaced, lost or “ghost” assets cost businesses millions of dollars each year in write-offs and lost productivity either by looking for assets or waiting for replacement materials. While the best practice is annually taking an inventory of assets, over 20% of surveyed end users note that they had not looked for their assets in the last five years. Knowing where assets are located, can help enterprises make better business decisions and eliminate the waste and cost of duplicate items.”
3. Gartner Hype Cycle for Wireless Technologies. As a User Recommendation, “Consider Bluetooth tracking based on AOA/AOD for applications that need high-precision real-time tracking and possibly sensing at relatively low cost per item.”
- AiRISTA is recognized in the Bluetooth AoA/AoD category for “supporting goals such as theft reduction, improving equipment utilization, process optimization, asset management, social distancing, and geofencing for health and safety purposes. Bluetooth can track a wide range of people and objects and can often exploit existing infrastructure to reduce cost.”
4. Gartner Hype Cycle for Public Safety and Law Enforcement. As a User Recommendation, “Demonstrate awareness of the direct trade-off between location accuracy and cost, and deploy the technology that supports your location intelligence use case. Overdelivery on accuracy will significantly increase costs, while underdelivering on accuracy will bring limited value and the project may fail.”
- AiRISTA is recognized in RTLS for Indoor Location Intelligence. “Hospitals benefit from asset tracking, patient tracking and monitoring to increase efficiencies. Manufacturing sites also benefit from multiple use cases, including forklift and people safety, while retailers can both achieve efficiencies and an improved customer experience (CX).”
We are happy to discuss how AiRISTA can help you take advantage of RTLS technologies that are providing demonstrable improvements to business performance. Please contact us at email@example.com.
 Gartner, Hype Cycle for Supply Chain Execution Technologies, Dwight Klappich, ID G00791762 , July 13 2023
 Gartner, Hype Cycle for Wireless Technologies, Nick Jones, ID G00791698, July 24 2023
 Gartner Hype Cycle for Public Safety and Law Enforcement, Michael Brown and Bill Finnerty, ID G00796458, July 25 2023